/State Offices

STATE Offices to contact for Licensing Requirements

Although the below list is not intended to be all-encompassing, it will help you get started with state licenses and permits. Businesses are also encouraged to consult with a professional, such as a small business attorney, to help them understand all applicable legal issues related to operating their specific business.

BLNC counselors can assist in identifying state licensing requirements for specific business activities and provide a wealth of information about service providers, resources and programs. Contact a counselor by calling 1-800-228-8443 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. EST.

Incorporating in North Carolina

The North Carolina Secretary of State provides guidelines to incorporating in North Carolina, access to required forms, current fee schedules and more.

Manufacturing, Selling or Serving Alcohol

The Alcohol Beverage Control Commission issues ABC permits. In addition, learn about local recycling requirements for businesses with certain types of ABC permits.

Operating a Child-Care Service

The NC Division of Child Development, a division of the NC Department of Health and Human Services, is the primary state agency regulating all childcare facilities.


Environmental Permits

Learn if your business requires environmental permits from the North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources (NCDENR) for things such as air and water quality, brownfields, underground storage tanks, hazardous waste, etc. NCDENR has created a permit handbook to serve as a guide that covers North Carolina’s most commonly required environmental permits, licenses, certifications, approvals, etc. to help you quickly gain an initial understanding of regulatory requirements for various permitted activities.

N.C. Department of Labor