What a year 2016 has been for us at CharlotteBusinessResources.com! This year, we launched our B2U Podcast, celebrated Small Business Month, gave you tips for participating in Small Business Saturday, and recognized many, many local entrepreneurs who are making waves in Charlotte’s business community!
Like many of you, we’re spending this last month (can you believe it?!) reminiscing on the pits and peaks of 2016 and brainstorming ideas for 2017.
It’s no surprise that we’re planners over here–we’re always harping on and on about how important having a plan is for any stage of your business. Whether you’re starting or growing your business in 2017, you need to have a plan of action for the coming year. You set New Year’s resolutions for yourself, why not for your business?
Here are a few questions to ask yourself as you begin planning for 2017:
Where am I now?
You can’t know where you’re headed until you know where you are now. Take a look at your current situation–are you on the right course? Are you where you want to be? Set goals that will keep you on track and identify areas that need improvement.
Pro-tip: Set measurable goals, with trackable action items! This way, when the year is over, you’ll be able to clearly identify exactly how far you’ve come.
How can I get where I need to be?
You’re already focusing on 2017, but what about 2020? 2025? Take this time to really look ahead and plan for the big picture. By creating bigger milestones to reach, it’ll be easier to conceptualize what those more immediate, tangible goals might look like.
How will I get it all done?
How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. It might seem like you have more goals than time–and you probably do–but the best way to make sure everything gets done is to create a list of bite-size tasks for the short-term. Whether monthly or weekly, establish the steps that need to be taken now to ensure your long-term goals are met and supported every step of the way.
Can I do it?
YES! The answer is always yes. You’ve set your goals. You know how you’ll reach them. And you have the resources you need to help you along the way. Remember to work hard, manage your time wisely, and always keep your eyes on the short- and long-term goals. Can you do it? YES. YOU. CAN!
Do you still need help coming up with concrete business goals for 2017? Here are a few suggestions:
1. Attend x more networking events in 2017.
2. Devote x additional hours to my business’ social media pages.
3. Increase marketing budget by x.
4. Spend x hours following-up with customers per week.
5. Hire x new employees.
6. Create a marketing plan before January 1.
7. Interact with x more people on social media.
8. Revisit and adjust my goals x times.
9. Attend x classes or workshops a month.
10. Try x new marketing strategies per month.
11. Join x new business organizations.
12. Invest x in new marketing techniques.
13. Increase repeat customers by x.
14. Set aside x hours per week to myself.
15. Increase prices by x.
16. Let go of the one thing (or person) that’s bringing my business down.
17. Donate/volunteer x times per month.
18. Identify the top x areas that bring cash flow to my business.
19. Evaluate profit and loss and cash flow every x days.
20. Grow my company by x%.
What are your New Year’s resolutions for 2017? Tweet them to us @CBRbiz!